Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Beer Wheat Bread

Something different happened this weekend... I ventured to a place I rarely go... bread baking!!! I love to bake... its my thing, if you will... but baking bread is pretty much at the bottom of the list when it comes to things to make.  BUT... it was Football Sunday, the air was starting to feel crisp, and we had some Chili that needed a friend!!!  I didn't make the chili this time, but my friend Nicole knocked it out of the park... beef AND spicy sausage... Yummy!!!

So... I have to first admit that I did not bake this bread from scratch... but since bread is not my cup of tea, you have to give me a break!!!  It was the Tastefully Simple Beer Bread mix... and they now make it in Wheat, so I couldn't resist.  And boy was it easy!!! I was going to be adventurous and throw in some Guinness, but since I've never made it before, I didn't know how it would work, so I just used Bud Light and mixed!!

Thick batter!!
Threw it all in a greased loaf pan... tossed into the hot oven and baked for about 50 minutes.  It made the house smell sooo yummy... I love the smell of warm bread so much, you would think I would make it more often... ;-)  It also added that nice smell of ale throughout the house that made me feel like I was in the dining room of the bed and breakfast I stayed at years ago in Ireland.  MMM... Cant go wrong with that smell.

Being weight conscious, I didn't add the 3 tablespoons of butter to the top... I don't think it needed it either... I did spray a little bit of I Can't Believe Its Not Butter on top, and it added a nice little hint of buttery goodness.

It held onto a nice golden brown, and I was very pleased with the way it turned out... I will definitely buy it again... and even make it again!! :-)

It got devoured by the pig skin watchers and went great with the chili!  If there was any left, I am sure it would have gone great with my morning cup of Pumpkin Spice Coffee... Oh I do love the fall!!!!

Enjoy! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Haven't had beer bread in ages!!!! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beer does wonderful things to bread! This looks perfectly golden brown and delicious!

    ReplyDelete