Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fury Baby Shower Cake

My dear friends Cat and Scott are expecting their first child in August (though we all think she will give birth in July) and this weekend was her baby shower.  I had the honor of doing the cake.  She wanted the cake to match the theme for the baby's room, if possible, so naturally I made it possible, anything for baby Fury.


I was super excited when I saw this, because I have grown a fondness for fondant animals! So I made a design to maktch this design and viola, a cake was born.  Here are some of the stages of this chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream icing. First I made the cake toppers, a little puppy and a cow.

The cow you may remember, because I made a similar one for Lila's cake, Lila's Farm.  The puppy was fun... he is all fondant and painted with brown food coloring.
The cow is the same, fondant and food coloring for some of the spots.
I made the bottom tier to be yellow, green and red stripes to match the fabric pattern, and the top tier was made to look like the animal blocks.  Each side having a different animal.  All animals in the pattern are depicted on the cake.
The animal faces were cut out of fondant and painted with food coloing.  Here is the pig side.  I'm used to doing pink pigs, but the pattern had a white pig, so white it was.  I chose to do the blue sky for each block, and included the cloud, sun and butterfly elements of the pattern to tie it all together.
The next side is the Monkey side.  Again the pattern called for a gray monkey instead of a brown one, so gray it is!
The Bunny side was next.  I drew on the cute little whiskers with edible markers.  The butterfly "fly lines" and the sun rays were also done with the edible markers.
And here is the final side, the Bear side.  I really enjoy this side the most.  I was able to paint the bear in a swirly motion so that he looked fluffy!
Here are the cake toppers, the two remaining animals from the pattern that didnt get a block.  They sat atop a cloud.
And here is the finished product...
The mommy and daddy to be were very excited to see their cake.  Daddy Fury was even more excited because inside was his favorite... Chocolate and Peanut Butter!!

All in all, i was very pleased with this new creation.  It took a little over 4 hours, which is becoming my norm... I guess i'm not quite ready for the cake challenges yet... but i do work alone, so that might play into it as well.

I hope you liked it... check back soon... I have plans of making some beer wheat bread this week... and MAYBE some lemon meringue cupcakes! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment